Saturday, February 11, 2012

: Issues and Trends: Excellence and Equity of Care and Education for Children and Families



I tried to find an outside like through this website. You have to be a member to access a lot of this information. But while I was exploring the naeyc website I did come across an article they posted by Deborah J. Leong and Elena Bodrova.  The article is titled Assessing and Scaffolding Make-Believe Play.

After exploring Young Children January 2012 issue, I found out that there are five stages in a child’s make-believe play:
1.  First Scripts
2.  Roles in Action
3.  Roles with Rules and Beginning
4.  Mature Roles, Planned Scenarios, and Symbolic Props
5.  Dramatization, Multiple Themes, Multiple Roles, and Director’s Play


I receive weekly emails but it does not any links about issues I have been studying.  It does however information about joining their organization and would like me to give them feedback about a program alignment project.

The Naecy website has an abundance of information about equity and excellence in early care and education. This website is for improving early childhood education and making sure each daycare is continuing to deliver a high quality Early Childhood Education.

After exploring the Naecy website more thoroughly I have gained more insight about children and play. It is so important that we allow children to play and explore their surroundings. It is important for us to fight those who want to take art, recess, and music out of public schools.  I know some who regulate the public school districts and those who own daycares really need to evaluate the importance of play. 

Many of the play skills that children learned in the past by observing and imitating their older playmates now have to be taught directly by teachers or learned from behaviors that teacher’s model.”

2 comments:

  1. Vennetta,

    Play is so important, and it's a shame that others cannot see that. I guess it will be our job to make sure play continues to be an important role. I like the NAEYC and what it stands for. I would like to eventually attend one of their conferences.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vennetta,

    I found your blog to very insightful. It is clear that NAEYC has a great deal to offer the early childhood field and continues to do that in the most effective way. As we have discussed in the last couple of weeks, play is very important in children's learning development. We must not forget what play did for us as children and fight for it now. One thing I found interesting were the five stages to make-believe play. It always surprises me the beauty of a child's imagination. It is so precious in a way that we should be promoting it, not hindering it. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete