Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sharing Web Resources

When I received the naeyc newsletter every month I always go to the Overview tab and then select Local Support.  I particularly like this because I can connect with someone in my area and who is experiencing the same issues.  I would feel more comfortable calling them or maybe go to lunch and I’m able to have a face to face conversation.

On the naeyc website I didn’t find anything too controversial but I did find something very interesting.  There is a Bright Horizons link and they spoke about “Children and Stress” They show common reactions and how to help children cope with stress.  I didn’t realize children carried their parents stress.

Children and Stress article ties to the beliefs of the Economists theory. We need to invest in children at an early age.  Funding to support children with certain issues would be viable to their future. A child dealing with stress is more common than what I realized.  Some of the ways we as teachers can invest in children is:

  1. Be available.
  2. Provide a peaceful household.
  3. Listen, listen, and listen some more.
  4. Be honest and answer their questions – at their level.
  5. Respect differences in children – individual and age based.
  6. Encourage consistency, everyday routines, and favorite rituals.
  7. Make the environment safe for talking about feelings and thoughts.
  8. Expect and allow for all kinds of emotion.
  9. Give choices and be flexible – avoid power struggles.
  10. Allow a lot of opportunities and different media for expression.
  11. Encourage activity and play.
  12. Support the child’s friendships and social network.
  13. Be a model as a human being.
  14. Hug with permission.
  15. Practice patience.
  16. Support children – at their worst.
  17. Expect behavior that is typical of a younger child.
  18. Expect behavior that is beyond the child’s years.
  19. Live right – eat, rest, sleep.
  20. Make bedtime special.
  21. Resist overprotection.
  22. Don’t force talk and interaction.
  23. Understand that playing is a way to grieve and sort through fears and confusion.
  24. Attend to the physical symptoms.
  25. Reassure the child that he or she is not alone.
  26. Set limits on acceptable behavior, and enforce them.
  27. Remember triggers that will cause distress.
  28. Plan family time together.
  29. Be available for help if needed.
  30. Take care of yourself.
I couldn’t choose one so I posted them all for you to look at.  I believe this all boils down to what the Economist’s believe. . By investing in children at an early age, we are creating a monetary payoff. Meaning we will create a better outcome when they are older.

What I gained from exploring the naeyc website is children are like sponges and they absorb their surrounding.  Children will mimic what they see or hear.  As an Early Childhood Educator we need to allow children to be children. This week Dr. Grace talked about children and their loss of innocence.  Children don’t play, explore and be creative like we use to at their age.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi!Vennetta,
    There are so many things that we don't realize about children. Your right about them being sponges , they absorb everyhting incuding their parents stress. The points on how teacher's can help is so on point, I will be using it for myself and other collegues.
    Thanks for sharing
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vennetta,

    I really like to the Naeyc website too. I like it because their is so much that early childhood professionals such and you and I can find and learn about. I particularly like to go to the resource and public policy tab, because I try to learn about the new and forth coming policies that are going to be established. I like to use the early childhood professional tab also because it has information that will help us to brighten our future. I use this website to learn about different job opportunities in different parts of the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vennetta,

    That is a great list!! Great ideas that we can all use to help with our children. I do like the NAEYC and I will look into the local support tab. It would be nice to connect with someone who has the same interests and goals. Thanks!!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete